Realtor® Code of Ethics...
The Code of Ethics of the Michigan Association of REALTORS® is the promise to the public that when dealing with a real estate agent that is a REALTOR®, you can expect honest and ethical treatment in all transaction related matters. Only REALTORS® pledge to abide by the Association's Code of Ethics and only REALTORS® are held accountable for their ethical behavior.
Some of the basic principles of the Code of Ethics include:
- Protect and promote the client's interests, but be honest with all parties.
- Avoid exaggeration, misrepresentation, and concealment of pertinent facts.
- Do not reveal facts that are confidential under the scope of your agency relationship.
- Disclose present or contemplated interest in any property to all parties.
- Avoid side deals without your client's confirmed consent.
- Accept compensation from only one party, except with full disclosure and informed consent.
- Keep the funds of clients and customers in escrow.
- Assure, whenever possible, that transactional details are in writing.
- Provide equal service to all clients and customers.
- Be knowledgeable and competent in the fields of practice in which you ordinarily engage.
- Obtain assistance or disclose lack of experience if necessary.
- Do not engage in the unauthorized practice of law.